Kieflies: The Only Must Have Christmas Cookie

December 12, 2010 11 comments

Our family has been making Kieflies for at least 30 years.  Kieflies are eastern European Christmas cookies that are so delicate and delicious that if we were to make only one cookie each year, this would be the chosen cookie.

Kieflies are a bit more time consuming than your average cookie as they take two days to prepare.  You actually make the dough and roll into dough balls the first day and refrigerate the dough balls overnight.  You also make the filling on Day 1.  The second day, you roll the dough into very flat circles in powder sugar, put a teaspoon of filling on one side of the cookie and toll them up, make a crescent and bake.  The recipe follows:

The Dough

1 lb. butter

12 egg yolks

1 cup sour cream

6 cups flour

Butter should be at room temperature.  Cut into flour, beat yolks and add sour cream; blend egg and cream into flour mixture.  Form into balls the size of melon balls.  Let stand covered in refrigerator overnight.

Roll out each ball in powder sugar with heavy rolling pin until very thin, about 3 inch circles.  Put one teaspoon of filling on one side and roll up, forming a crescent.  Place on baking pan lined with parchment paper. Bake at 325° for 15 min.

Filling

12 egg whites, room temperature

2 lbs. walnuts, ground fine

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 lb. powder sugar

Beat egg whites until stiff, fold in sugar, nuts and vanilla, one at a time.  Stir and refrigerate until ready to fill cookies.

11 Responses to “Kieflies: The Only Must Have Christmas Cookie”

1. Maria says:

Seriously…. These cookies are mmm mmm good! They’re great with milk or coffee or alone as a midnight snack!

2. linda allen says:

Karin–I don’t cook nor bake but for some reason this year I have. I just tried your Kieflies and they were not pretty as a picture but the taste is greatttt. Everyone likes them. It has become our favorite Christmas cookie. Thanks

3. Baker says:

These are the tastiest things ever. Both the pastry and the filling. Mmm. So good!

4. […] Kieflies: The Only “Must Have” Christmas Cookie December 2010 4 comments 5 […]

5. Cindy says:

Karin~ We couldn’t find Omi’s recipie for these this year so my husband found another online. They were good but not as good as the ones that I was able to help Omi make last time I saw her. I am so glad to have “her” recipie. Glad you got to see my parents this week and that they are going to get to hug Omi’s neck next week. Hope all is well.

• cookthepart says:

So glad we saw your parents (after 30 YEARS?)! And that they decided to extend their vacation and come to San Diego to spend a bit more time with us. Let me know how the recipe works for you. So happy to have you visit e blog!

6. Mona says:

Wow – this has been our family’s must have Christmas cookie for my entire life! (I’m 39.) I never knew anyone else who made them – let alone had them at Christmas. That is really cool! :) What find to find them here.

7. Sarah F says:

I grew up eating these, as my Grandma was Hungarian. We used to make apricot kieflies, and raisin kieflies are great too! Purée the raisins first. What a great cookie!

8. Patty says:

I had to quickly share with you what a big hit the kieflies were – I immediately shared some with neighbors who had them with tea and they thoroughly enjoyed them and were so pleased to have a taste from the super fresh batch. I sent them to my parents, Miss Kait and my younger brother. They arrived in perfect shape and travelled really well. My father was over the moon about them – he just couldn’t believe they were Hungarian though – he was certain it was a treat his Ukrainian Mom and sisters would have made. I sent my parents an additional little box along with the pretty one you packed up. They shared with their card group and they can’t stop talking about them. My sister Donna went to look up the recipe and found your site and her and Kait couldn’t believe there were pictures of me making them! Wow, you were quick to get them on there!

Just wanted to let you know how well received they were and for sure, kieflies will be my “must make” Christmas cookie from now on.

Patty